Norwegian designer Falke Svatun simplifies the indispensable side chair to basic elements: sturdy, high-quality form-pressed plywood is laminated with the same wood that the solid legs and backrest are made from. Legs are pinned to the seat with dowels. And the 6mm thin backrest is curved for long-wearing comfort. Manufactured by Danish powerhouse Menu, with an upholstered seat in silk leather or Kvadrat textile.
31.5" h x 19" w x 19" d (80x48x48cm)
Seat Height: 18" h (45.75cm)
Natural oak or stained ash, fabric or leather upholstery
- Textile Group 1: Remix 2, Maple, Gaja C2C, Hot Madison, City Velvet, Champion
- Textile Group 2: Fiord, Canvas, Colline, Hallingdal, Savanna, Steelcut trio, Steelcut, Ritz, Divina Melange, Clay, Moss
- Textile Group 3: Vintage, Safire, Grisaille, Ponpon
- Textile Group 4: Doppiopanama, Deco, Lupo, Atlas
- Leather Group 1: Ultra, Dakar
- Leather Group 2: Shade, Dunes, Instill
- Leather Group 3: Royal Nubuck
- Leather Group 4: Elegance
"It's about creating aesthetically pleasing designs that evoke true feelings,” Menu founder Bjarne Hansen told the online magazine Lonny, “as well as improving processes in people's daily lives.” Ranging from tabletop objects to bath fixtures to lighting and furniture, the Danish brand’s pursuit of "soft minimalism" involves collaborations with designers from all over the world. The company’s guiding spirit is a quest for functional originality—with each product having either a new purpose, incorporating a new material or utilizing a new production method.
Menu is just as dedicated to responsible manufacturing as it is innovation. Working to locate new partners in developing countries around the world, the company searches out local factories or small private co-operations to turn out high quality goods and also provide a better economic foundation for the people involved in that production. "We’re passionate about design, new materials and clever details," say the folks at Menu, "and we dream about making a difference."