Designers Stine Gam and Enrico Fratesi recast their modernist take on a classic roll-arm English sofa as a capacious lounge chair. For their series for Italian maker Gubi, the seating features low-slung, expansive proportions and a softly rounded character, set on sleek metal legs. Yet it retains a crisp silhouette, emphasized by taut upholstery and precise piped edges. A slender wooden frame underpins the layers of springs, foam and feathers to assure extended comfort and ease. And the snugly plump seat and backrest cushions are thoughtfully equipped with removable covers for easy maintenance.
- 29.5" h x 39.4" w x 39.4" d (75x100x100cm)
- Seat height: 15.4" (39cm)
- Group A: Hot Madison Reboot, Indianskop, Mica, Relate, Tempt
- Group B: Basic, Canvas, Eero Special FR, Flair Special FR, Gaja Classic, Harp, Plain, Lorkey, Remix, Sunday
- Group C: Around Boucle, Belsuede FR, Hallingdal, Lupo Special, Diagonal Boucle, Steelcut Trio, Vidar 3
- Group D: Aurin 5, Karakorum, Sunniva, Libera, Safire, Chevron
- Group E: Svevo
- Group F: Artemidor, Brescia, Chamois, Dunes
- COM and COL are available on request
Design is an unceasing continuum, believes this Danish house, now owned by a second generation. Owner and creative director Jacob Gubi Olsen inherited the helm from his parents Gubi and Lisbeth Larson, who founded the business to showcase their postmodern furniture. Under Jacob’s watch, Gubi added a global focus to its roots in Copenhagen, with a cosmopolitan array of furniture, lighting and interior objects.
Alongside 20th Century icons such as Robert Dudley Best and Greta Magnusson-Grossman, the design house has championed a new wave of design studios including GamFratesi, Space Copenhagen and OeO Studio. “I started out with two very strong designs, Bestlite—a Bauhaus collection designed in 1930—and Gubi Chair, designed in 2003. I felt they had something in common,” says Jacobs. “Iconic appearance, functional design, high quality, aesthetic design language and adaptable for many different kinds of interiors. I took these values as a guideline for any new designs added to the collection ever since.”