Moooi’s ur-Monster is frightfully chic in its original black synthetic-leather upholstered rendition. As designer and cofounder of the freewheeling Amsterdam-based design brand, Marcel Wanders underscores the fantastical allusion with foam-cushioned comfort beneath the seating’s diamond-quilted covering. Available in both side and armchair models, Marcel’s imaginative creation even includes the option of a whimsically embroidered face motif on the backrest.
- 31.5" h x 22" w x 15.7" d (80x56x40cm)
- Seat height: 19.7" (50cm)
Steel frame, foam
- Category I: Denim, Macchedil Grezzo, Macchedil Sottile
- Category II: Abbracci, Oray Ray, Oray Ronan, Solis
- Category III: Boucle, Jacquard Andaz, Jacquard Fresco, Jacquard Old Black/Blue, Justo, Liscio, Merit, Remix 3, Vesper
- Category IV: Canvas 2, Divina 3, Divina Melange 3, Divina MD, Fiord 2, Tonica 2, Steelcut 2, Steelcut Trio 3
- Category V: Hallingdal 65, EA, Bearded Leopard Jacquard, EA Blushing Sloth Melange Mohair, EA Blushing Sloth Woolly Mohair, EA,The Silent Bison Velvet, EA Calligraphy Bird Jacquard, EA, Dodo Pavone Jacquard
- COM and COL available on request
It rhymes with “boy,” and a child’s wonder and uninhibited creative impulse is at the heart of this Amsterdam design house co-founded in 2001 by Netherlands design star Marcel Wanders. Then as now, Moooi’s aim is to crack conventions of modern design, providing a platform for the most experimental creatives around the world, including Studio Job, Bertjan Pot, Front and Neri&Hu, as well as creative director Wanders himself.
Some of Moooi’s beautifully eccentric pieces like the charred-wood Smoke Chair; the nearly life-size Horse Lamp; and Iconic Eyes, a dazzling hanging light made of BMW headlights, have become design icons. “We are not the kind of company that decides to produce a commercial chair and then contacts the right designer,” says Robin Bevers, who took the reins as CEO in 2015, after co-founder and Dutch design entrepreneur Casper Vissers stepped away. “It’s rather the other way round: they contact us.” From hotels to homes, the flights of fancy in furnishings, wallcoverings, rugs, lighting and décor from Moooi continue to marvel.